Our History

History of Thornbury School

The erection of Thornbury School was first commenced in early March 1883, and was completed in May. The school was opened in June 1883. The ‘school house’ did duty until the late 1920’s when a more modern dwelling was built.​

The first headmaster to serve the school was Mr J. Williamson.​

The old school was destroyed by fire in the early 1950’s and the replacement block of two rooms was opened on 7 November 1953. At that stage, the school roll showed 65 pupils. Until the school was rebuilt, classes were held in the hall and the church. The new school was a standard design typical of the Education facilities of that period. Another classroom and the Staff room were added in 1962.